So the appraisal came in low. Quite low. Like 20% lower than the sale price. That was two weeks ago. The seller is shocked, angry, and making us wait. And wait and wait and wait. She said she'd get back to us three days ago and still nothing but silence.
Forgive the following rant, but I have a few things that I'd like to get off my chest before I chuck this whole thing in the can, and writing it all down will help. First, I can understand that she is upset, even livid that her property isn't worth what she thought. I honestly know exactly how it feels, as it just happened to us four months ago. But there is a difference between having unrealistic expectations of value based on nothing other than your own overtrusted gut instinct, and getting screwed. I assure you this is the former. The appraiser actually laughed at me when I told him the sale price, and the appraisal is based on sales before the market really fell. Second, about the waiting. I can't get my head around why anyone in this real estate market, who is hoping to sell a property, would want to piss off the buyer by sitting on their answer for weeks. I can tell you it's not making me want it more. I can think of ten really solid reasons why she should sell this property, and no reasons why not. The price, yes, but I have it on good authority that the number we are now looking at...the top of the appraisal range, mind you...is actually much higher than she nearly sold it for just a few years ago. So, she's playing a game and it's a dumb one and I wish someone would talk some sense into her because frankly she's fucking this whole thing up.
It was honestly pissing me off to the point of wanting to throw things, which is so far outside of my normal personality that I know this shit is really getting to me. It's not necessarily losing the deal, which would make me sad but I can get over. It's that this is so clearly the best thing for both parties, and she is exhibiting unparallelled stupidity. If she walks away from this I guarantee she will regret it, and for some reason that sort of shortsightedness drives me batty.
But, yesterday I realized that I won't die if this thing doesn't happen, and that I'm not willing to wear a hole in my stomach waiting for this incredibly rude woman to get around to making her decision. So, I'm thinking about other possibilities if this falls through, which is far more happy and productive. In a word, I'm moving on. She can throw her silent hissyfit for-fucking-ever if she wants to. Enjoy.